Hex Cracker Hex Cracker

I like it. It isn't very refined, but it's put together nicely enough to be very enjoyable. There are a couple of errors (described below) that ought to be fixed, but everything is good otherwise.

_Errors_

1. In the "How to Play" section, the "F" in the example hex code is incorrectly assigned a value of 16 in the "Replacing..." pop-up window; the correct value to assign is 15. This mistake propagates through the subsequent steps of the calculation, so to make everything accurate you'll also have to change the corresponding value in the "Multiplying..." window to 15, as well as the corresponding value in the "Adding..." window to 127.

2. It's mentioned in the "How to Play" section that either pressing the "X" key on the keyboard or clicking the mouse changes the amount to add or subtract from the color values, but only the mouse option works.

Kwing responds:

1. Oops. I'll get on that.

2. This game is PSP compatible. The X button means X on the PSP, not on your keyboard, hence the button being circular.

Think Tank Think Tank

This game has some small issues (I caught several errors in the dialogue and I think the code could benefit from some refining and optimization), but overall, I love it. The plot and technically-oriented gameplay are very appealing, as are the visual style and soundtrack.

I appreciate the difficulty level - it's challenging, but not to the point of frustration. Some of the level designs are quite creative and perplexing at a glance (the game definitely lives up to its name), and the ongoing communications between the player, scientist and bomber make the experience even more engaging (not to mention humorous). The boss fights are a welcome break from the puzzles, but I very much like how they all require a bit of strategy and thinking ahead nonetheless.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the code could be improved upon. Everything seems functional enough and I haven't encountered any game-breaking glitches, but different levels run at markedly different speeds depending on how many and what type of objects are present in them. The computer on which I played is somewhat dated, but considering the graphics (only raster images to which relatively simple transformations are occasionally applied are used as far as I can tell) and gameplay (it doesn't look like there are any particularly code-intensive operations required), I imagine it's possible to make everything run significantly smoother through adjustments to the program and game structure.

Having played through the entire game only once as I write this review, I feel inclined to go through everything at least one more time to see the other side (literally) of the story and try to pick up on details I may have missed during my first run; I think I'll happily do that not too long from now.

All involved in this game's production did a swell job; the fruits of the developers' labor are almost as sweet and juicy as the fresh, green grapes I ate yesterday.

Pjorg responds:

Thanks for the very thorough review!

Update: went through a fixed all the typos I could find

Theia Theia

This game isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good. I played all the way through and had a ton of fun. I have a feeling the developers really enjoyed working on this project.

Aesthetically, it's excellent. The artwork and animations vary in detail and smoothness, but the visuals all look really neat on the whole, and the music and sound effects helped thoroughly immerse me in the game world. (The grunts of those big-handed guys started to really get to me after Voly got smacked by them enough times... but that was part of the fun!) I also like the plot, and enjoyed encountering all the different kinds of enemies, big and small. Everything has a cute, slightly childish feel to it, which I really love.

The perspective from which stages are viewed and the hit areas of the various objects made navigation tricky at first, but I gradually got more comfortable with everything as I played. There were times when I wished things were clearer, but it was also fun to figure out how the environment worked, which was a significant part of the game's difficulty for me.

Speaking of difficulty, this gets really hard! I was about ready to pull my hair out over the challenges presented by some of the later stages. But the combination of solving the puzzles and performing the tricky maneuvers this game requires is a joy to experience... a borderline-masochistic joy, perhaps, but a joy nonetheless. In any case, I'm glad I stuck it out to the end and got to see everything the game has to offer.

There are some slightly irritating bugs - scores can drop below zero, but a negative sign is never displayed (I thought the scoring system was broken until I realized this); Voly once got stuck in place near the edge of an obstacle, forcing me to restart the stage I was playing - but for the most part, the game plays beautifully.

It would be great if those bugs were fixed, but they aren't game-compromising, and don't change the fact that this game exhibits a lot of creativity and is really fun. I can definitely see myself playing it again and trying to finish with fewer deaths and a higher score.

Thanks for a great game!

Ball Grab Ball Grab

I love this. It's perfect. I made my way through all the levels and thoroughly enjoyed everything. It is this game's odd, confusing style and air of ambiguity that makes it so much fun to figure out and play. Needless to say, I would not change a thing. Bravo. I wish you the best of luck with your future creative endeavors.

spikey in cage spikey in cage

I am aghast.

It brings pain to my heart to know that as I continue living my life unrestrained by physical contraptions designed to limit freedom, Spikey is languishing in that horrible prison. I'm sure he's undeserving of the severe punishment to which he's being subjected, and that all he wants is to explore the world that lies beyond those bars and coexist harmoniously with all its inhabitants.

Don't despair, Spikey! Don't give up on your dream of escaping that vile enclosure! Continue jumping, day and night, over and over, and your legs will surely grow stronger! Yes, stronger and stronger, until you're able to propel yourself upwards and over the top of the structure that bounds you!! Believe me, my four-legged friend, that day will come!!!!

Thank you, runnan23, for putting this atrocity on public display so that others may learn of Spikey's plight. His tragic situation will no doubt inspire millions of prayers for his freedom. You've done a great service to the poor creature, and once he's freed himself from that cage, I'm sure he'll return your kindness.

runnan23 responds:

finally someone that got the metaphor, lol.

Point of Control 2 Point of Control 2

Solid effort, but this game begs for refinements.

I played and enjoyed the first "Point of Control," and went into this one expecting improvements over the original. In the end, I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't particularly impressed, either.

I really like the various graphical updates and the robot's refined handling, which gives this game a slightly more professional look and feel than the first one had. But both games are still extremely similar; I was hoping this one would contain challenges that differed significantly from those in the original, but there aren't many new things to see. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this game about as much as I enjoyed the original, but it could definitely be fresher.

There's a bigger issue, though: There are some very noticeable bugs that could easily be fixed to provide players with a more enjoyable experience. Here's what I found by playing through the game a few times:

- The collision-checking between the robot and the hazard cubes is a bit iffy (the first game also had this problem). I first noticed in Trial 15 that the robot could jump very far into the cubes without dying (strangely, this issue seems to be nonexistent in the first few trials). Furthermore, it's possible to pass right through the cubes if you jump/fall towards them in a certain way.

- There seems to be a problem with the robot/exit collisions as well. On Trial 19 (and I believe on at least one other trial after that), I reached the goal but wasn't taken to the next trial automatically. I had to press the jump key while standing in front of the exit in order to complete the current trial and move on.

- The robot can't jump while standing on a platform that's moving upwards.

- There are some synchronization issues with the temporarily-disappearing platforms; they seem to disappear and reappear with slightly different timings every playthrough, which I don't think is intentional.

If you plan to make a third "Point of Control," you ought to consider an engine overhaul and/or rewrite. For the most part, this game plays fine, but encountering those bugs can be irritating. Always remember to thoroughly play and test your games before releasing them; you might be surprised at what you can find.

Another very important thing that ought to be improved upon is the game's rendering efficiency. While I was playing through trials that involved a lot of hazard cubes, the game lagged substantially due to having to render lots of vector shapes. Adjusting the display quality with Flash's context menu got rid of the lag, but there are better ways to solve the issue: You could include easily accessible quality-toggle buttons (since players may not know about or think to use the context menu), or you could replace some or all of the vector drawings with bitmaps, which can be rendered much faster (a superior solution, in my opinion).

Aside from those major things, you could improve upon the presentation slightly by fixing a few spelling and grammatical errors and doing some general neatening (which would likely happen naturally if you were to rewrite the game engine). The inclusion of music and additional sound effects could be beneficial too (although the dearth of audio doesn't bother me personally), unless you intend for the experience to be mostly silent.

Finally, you ought to credit yourself somewhere in your work so it isn't an easy target for thieves. You can even site-lock your games, if you wish. (Sadly, Flash game theft is very common.)

In summary, you could do a lot more with this game by including a wider variety of challenges, and it would have a far more professional vibe if you were to eliminate the bugs, improve the performance, and tidy a few things up. If you put more effort into polishing it, you could end up with a really slick and refined product.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

Sp**d Sp**d

I have a n**d for Sp**d!

This game quickly hooked me, and once I really got into it, I couldn't help but play until I had mastered every level. Some of the challenges were frustrating at times, but never so frustrating as to repel me; rather, I felt compelled to continue trying until I completed them, and had a ton of fun in the process.

I never found myself growing bored while playing, which is somewhat astonishing considering that the only thing I had control over was the timing of the character's jumps. I think that's a testament to the beautifully-implemented variety of mechanics, obstacles, and level designs this game offers.

The graphics, although simple, are very effective, and the sound effects are pleasant to hear; the lack of music doesn't bother me in the slightest. I haven't encountered any glitches, but I noticed one very minor slip-up: Clicking the "More Games" button on the title screen doesn't do anything. I also observed that clicking when the mouse cursor is outside the box that frames each level doesn't cause the character to jump; perhaps this is intentional, but I find it a bit odd.

One feature I would've liked the see is the option to replay a level immediately after it's been completed without having to quit and go to the Level Select menu; it would be particularly useful for players who are trying to master all the levels. I also think the game would benefit from an explanation of the letter rating and timer shown on every level; they confused me a bit at first, and I wasn't aware that the character self-destructs after the timer reaches 0 while "C" is shown until I saw it happen a few times; initially, I thought the character was randomly dying due to a glitch.

Overall, the game's presentation is very nice; the only thing that's off is the "You Are The Greatest" text that appears once one beats Level 20+ and has earned a rating of "A" on every level; it spills off the right side of the screen.

All minor errors aside, I love everything about this game, from the boss fights to the creative level names. A more complex rating system (one that factors in the precise amount of time taken to complete each level, for example) could extend its replay value, but it provided me with a few hours of intense entertainment nonetheless, and it's fantastic as is.

Kudos for creating this unique and memorable game. I hope to see more content from you in the future!

DG DG

DG = Deliciously Good

The collision detection is very murky, some of the challenges and boss fights are extremely frustrating, the main character's ridiculously high acceleration makes him annoyingly difficult to control at times, and the game's overall presentation is rather sloppy.

BUT

Every second I spent playing was a second of pure enjoyment. I think this game is very fun, and that all the things I mentioned in the first paragraph - despite being undesirable by traditional standards - are, in large part, responsible for its high entertainment value.

During my first playthrough, I was constantly compelled to continue until I had completed every challenge, even during the perplexing boss fights; on top of that, I often found myself giggling at the difficult and subtle solutions to some of the levels - they're so bewildering as to be laughable, and yet, they're all very doable and fun to figure out. I also really enjoyed the music - it's relatively simple, but goes very well with the gameplay and simple graphics, and it's nice to hear a different track for each part of the game.

This game would no doubt need a great deal of refining to be comparable to more "professional" ones; despite that, I think it's excellent as is. Even though it's kind of shoddy-looking and plays a bit strange, the variety of challenges reflects a great deal of effort on the creator's part, and, most importantly, it's FUN, not to mention memorable for its unusualness.

I can definitely see myself coming back for additional playthroughs so I can catch all the little details I'm sure I missed the first time around and try to finish with a score that isn't abysmal. Speaking of which, here are the final results of my first complete playthrough:

Score: -3784
Time: 25979
Deaths: Several hundred, I'm sure.

iam2ku4u responds:

I'm glad you finished it, I also enjoyed your critique. If I were to make a sequal (quite possibly) I would refine multiple things, especially the controls.

As for your results, you actually finished and you will get a reward. Do you have a deviantart account? Meet me on there so we can discuss your drawing.

It's Humplicated It's Humplicated

This is oddly addictive.

I'd love to see you expand on this concept and turn it into a full game with levels, a scoring system, sound effects, and all that nice stuff.

But even as is, I love this; I found myself playing around with it and giggling for at least five minutes, and I'm sure I'll be back to mess around with it again at a later time. It's particularly fun to zip from the circle you're humping/being humped by to another one as soon as you can, thereby creating a "hump combo" - that could be a great gameplay mechanic! You could also reward players for getting humped by multiple entities simultaneously, for being humped continuously for certain periods of time, and so on.

Honestly, I think this has potential to become much more than just a neat little gadget. "It's Humplicated: The Game" could easily become a smash hit and rack up an astronomical number of worldwide views/plays. Someday, I hope to see it alongside all the other classic Flash submissions on Newgrounds.

Also, your choice of genre - Simulation - Dating - is the icing on the cake; it made me snicker like crazy. And for only thirty minutes of work, this is one delicious cake.

Congratulations - you've done a humptastic job!

hansaW responds:

Hump you very much :)

Save Jim Save Jim

I'll save ya, little buddy!

I really enjoyed playing this. At the outset, I thought it was just going to be another dodging game. But the unique control scheme makes it stand out from the crowd, despite the fact that the goal is indeed to avoid obstacles. I'm not sure I would have bothered completing all eight levels if Jim could simply be controlled directly with the arrow keys.

I often found myself adjusting Jim's position in unexpected ways in order to move him to a desired location, which added significantly to the challenge. I imagine that changing the order of the motion directions in the "control panel" for each level would have been even more engaging; that's something you may want to consider if you plan to make a sequel.

The graphics aren't exactly professional-looking, but that's not a huge deal; I actually think your drawing style adds to the game's charm. Even so, the game could benefit from having its presentation neatened up.

The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that the music doesn't loop; I was somewhat disappointed when it ended, and had to resort to opening another tab and listening to it through the Audio Portal while continuing to play.

If you do make a sequel, I hope to see a more polished product. One thing you ought to consider is increasing the game's frame rate, as this would allow for better input response times. (Games are generally run at 30 frames per second or higher; this one appears to run at about 12 FPS.) And unless you want players to figure out the controls on their own, you should clearly include instructions somewhere in the game.

There are also some issues with the stick figure's animation; he often runs in place when he's not moving and gets stuck on one frame of his run cycle when he is moving (this only seems to happen when the left arrow key is used). Thankfully, this doesn't have a significant impact on the gameplay, but it would be very unfortunate if it did. Always remember to thoroughly test and debug your code!

Furthermore, I wouldn't mind seeing an increase in the complexity of the levels, perhaps involving picking up items and teleporting from location to location in order to reach the goals. There are plenty of other ideas you could incorporate as well, which would have an added benefit of making the game feel less repetitive.

You can expand and enhance this little game in many ways, and I hope you do! Good luck with your future endeavors; I'd love to see more work from you! :)

lucatheawsome responds: