~Call Me~ ~Call Me~

To be totally honest, I can barely stand the clap that repeats throughout most of the beat. Everything else sounds nice, but I had trouble taking it all in due to how loud and abrupt the clap is. The softer melodies are so overpowered that it's difficult to hear how they change; I had to listen to the entire piece a second time to start really picking up on the variety. I would try to integrate the clap with all the other instruments by substantially reducing its volume and letting it fade out instead of abruptly cutting it off. It also might be a good idea to remove the clap entirely from some parts of the music to make the whole piece more varied.

If you create a revised version of this beat, I'd be interested in hearing it!

nietzlawe responds:

Interesting thoughts, I'll look into it Jack. The percussion is a little crunkier than I would normally subject my own work to. I did deliberate for a while whether the clap was too harsh, too snappy and I can see where you would think along those lines.

There is definitely a revised version in the pipeline, and I'll have a mess around with the clap/snare, to try and make it blend into the song more without being too invasive on the song as a whole.

king OF cirme king OF cirme

Oh man, I was recently wondering whether or not you were still active here, and just now I come across this tune of yours, featured on the front page, just hours after you submitted it. Congrats! And excellent work with everything as usual; the portamentos are particularly seductive.

By the way, you may want to change the submission classification to "loop", which will prevent NG's audio player from disabling looping by default.

bryce responds:

thanks for the feedback pal!!! (loop enabled : -))

Rustled Jimmies Rustled Jimmies

I rarely listen to hip-hop beats and find it difficult to get into stuff like this, but from an objective perspective, this sounds like a solid foundation for a more complex instrumental piece... either that, or for rapping over, as some other reviewers have mentioned. To be brutally honest, it sounds a bit dull at certain points, but then again, if you had embellished it, I doubt it would work as well as the basis for a rap track. I'm probably not the best person to judge this, though, since I generally listen to purely instrumental stuff and am unfamiliar with the finer points of this genre.

In any case, I hope this review rustles your jimmies enough to inspire a new era of music production; it's been a while since you've graced the Audio Portal with your work... I mean that sincerely. Really, I do!! It's good to see you back in action, Squishy... and if hearing that old nickname of yours doesn't rustle your jimmies sufficiently, I don't know what will.

Sinitech responds:

My rustles have been jimmied.

Dark Forest - IO Dark Forest - IO

This is pretty incredible; it's one of the few pieces of music I've discovered on Newgrounds that has drawn me back to it multiple times while consistently offering a fresh, captivating experience. I first heard this over a year ago and have listened to it only a few times since, but it's stayed in my mind during that time and it never fails to suck me in and provide a unique escape from reality.

I really love the "going deeper" feeling this track imparts, and I also like the fact that although the music varies a lot, it all feels connected, it all feels like a part of a journey. Those are the aspects that really engage me and make me feel like I'm somewhere else when I'm listening. You could say the music tells a story; it definitely feels like it's progressing, building up from a quiet scene to a major climax and finally resolving. I love music that inspires me to dream up visuals in my head while listening; this track does that very well.

It would be interesting to hear how different this would sound if you had completed all the tweaks you wanted to, but as far as I'm concerned, this is fantastic as is, and I'm confident that I'll be back to listen again at some point.

bagger bagger

Here are my groceries...

The first thing I thought of while listening was that this would fit right into a platformer (or a grocery-bagging simulator); it would also go great with a menu, a credits sequence, and the like. It's quite a versatile little loop.

Your copious use of frequency modulation is excellent; it prevents the music from sounding flat and enhances the listening experience tremendously. (I have a fetish for FM... and possibly SM as well, but that's beside the point!!!!) The variations on the melody beginning at 0:14 are beautiful, and I love how each variation is only heard once per loop; plus, that shows that you put some real soul into this little tune.

I don't feel like ending this review with a short, complimentary exclamation such as "Great job!" or "Excellent work!", so I'll end it with a long, insulting sentence instead:

This is by far the most bland and uninspired piece of music I've ever had the misfortune of listening to, and I'd rather stab acid-soaked toothpicks into my eardrums as hard as I can and render myself permanently deaf than hear another nanosecond of this abomination.

fuck you ok fuck you ok

Okay!

Your creation sporadically popped into my head yesterday and refused to leave, even after I yelled at it and tried beating it with a golf club. Now I have to deal with both the music AND a fractured skull!

This loop may be a freeloading bastard, but I'll look past that since it's so catchy and well-made. However, it better not invite any of its Irish drinking buddies over during its refuge in my cranium, or I'll break out the jackhammer!!!

ouch get well soon )- :

35:08 35:08

Art.

It isn't an easy term to define, especially in this day and age, where the number of ways in which individuals can express themselves is increasing at an extraordinarily rapid pace. Some would immediately classify a certain entity as art, while others would consider the same entity to be wholly devoid of artistic qualities. Such disagreements are often the sources of full-blown debates that challenge our perceptions of the world, and of ourselves.

Despite acknowledging all of the aforementioned statements, I cannot help but declare something that I believe is completely and fundamentally true in the context of this discussion, something that I feel utterly inspired and compelled to exclaim, something that I want every person in the world to know and understand:

This - this shockingly expressive, undeniably glorious, beautifully composed piece of music that has warmed my soul and earned my undying respect - is art.

Eat your heart out, John Cage.

sines sines

It would be a sin to not expand on this!

The buildup at the beginning is beautifully chilling, and what follows makes things even spookier. It evokes imagery of a slow, cautious journey deep into a big, abandoned house in the dead of night...

But the music ends very anticlimactically, which is a shame. It sounds incomplete, as if you had more to add but didn't or couldn't for whatever reason. There's a twenty-second block of silence at the end of the track; did a part of the music get cut off by some sort of exporting error?

What you have here stands on its own pretty well, but the beginning made me believe the melody was going to get darker and more complex and varied; it was a real letdown to hear it all fade away right when I was preparing my eardrums for something really intense.

I hope you revisit this track someday and unleash its potential!!

bryce responds:

this was just a practice track -- i intended it to end so soon.. and no, no exporting error, it ends there and i guess it kept the reverberation trail after exporting

gr00ve gr00ve

Gr00vy!

You're fantastic at making these short, catchy loops; there are probably quite a few people out there who would pay to download and use some of your beats!

Anyway, excellent tune; I love all the blippity-blop going on in there, and everything sounds perfectly neat and clean. If my cell phone wasn't ancient, and got more than a minute of use per week, I'd set this as my ringtone. Hell, I'd use this with my landline if I could.

Keep on chippin'!

(_': ty

ass itch ass itch

Keep your itch cream!

Man, this is catchy! The melody reminds me of a hilly landscape - it's always gradually changing its pitch from low, to high, to low, to high... the constant shifting makes it really fun to listen to. And the chords that come in at the 30-second mark sound superb. I think introducing a similar chord effect at the one-minute mark as well would've been a good idea, but just about everything sounds excellent as is.

The ending is the one part that irks me a bit - I can't help but feel like the music gets cut off prematurely, but maybe that's just me. I can see how that sort of ending can be appealing, although I would've preferred a seamless loop.

Regardless, this is very nicely done, and the fact that you made everything with a single synth makes it all the more impressive. Keep it up!

bryce responds:

thanks for the review,,, i didn't add another chorus over the 1m mark because it was basically an ending,, i always end my shyt abruptly sorry : * (